Musings on music delivered when I dig myself out.



Will I never learn?

Or The Von Bondies single, "C'mon C'mon"

There's something to be said for a band that can be brought up on the tutelage of an esteemed musician like Jack White, decide they no longer want to be known as his finger puppets and still make a record that delivers. As a matter of fact, "C'mon C'mon" is like a huge middle finger to to their former mentor -- it's so fucking catchy even White would wish he had written it.

The beginning is deceptively calm and easy-going, like a boxer lacing up their boots. What follows is a flurry of guitar slices and low-blows from the bass. Singer Jason Stollsteimer (who sounds a tad like the frontman of Death on Wednesday but significantly more pissed off) shows no fear of using his outside voice and rips through lyrics like "With my teeth locked down I can see the blood / Of a thousand men who have come and gone." The chorus is a non-stop combo of punches that at once reminds me of The Vines, The Donnas, and The International Noise Conspiracy, and it hits like a haymaker. Even though the song is short, it's addictive qualities will have "C'mon c'mon!" running through your head all day. Perhaps this is what Stollsteimer will be hearing the next time he sees Jack and The White Stripes will be more like black and blue.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




0 Responses to “Will I never learn?”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


I Got Love For


ATOM 0.3

Establish Contact:

Previous posts

Archives

Add http://codebreaker.blogspot.com to your Kinja digest